At a time when home became part workplace, part restaurant and school, millions started exercising at home to stay fit and fab | Photo credit: Pexels
- Deadlifts in the gym require barbells, bumper plates and bar collars
- Gym or no gym, wall sits do not require any equipment but just a wall
- The sturdy gym benches are ideal for performing triceps exercise
New Delhi: For a long time, fitness enthusiasts were under the impression that going to the gym is imperative to stay in shape. However, the coronavirus lockdown changed the way we look at a lot of things – even fitness at home. At a time when home became part workplace, part restaurant and school, millions started exercising at home to stay fit and fab. Sans equipment and supplements, a more holistic form of fitness was adapted. Celebrities, too, posted their at-home exercise regime with fans and raised awareness on the ‘fitness at home’ subject.
And now, when we are inching towards the possibility of a third wave of coronavirus, it’s time to prepare for a more intense routine – one that relies on basic household items in place workout essentials like dumbbells – for an all-round regimen.
Take a look.
- Water bucket deadlifts: Deadlifts in the gym require barbells, bumper plates and bar collars. However, you can perform the same at home with a bucket full of water. All you need to do is fill up a bucket as per your weight lifting capacity and perform the deadlifts.
- Book push-ups: At the gym, bumper plates are placed on the back to intensify push-ups. However, when performing the same at home, stack up some of your heavy books on the back and perform the same for similar, sometimes better results.
- Wall sits: Gym or no gym, wall sits do not require any equipment but just a wall. Not only at home, this exercise can be performed anywhere – even in school or at work – wherever you find place. Try holding on to the wall sit position for 30 seconds for starters. Then increase it overtime and witness your muscles grow stronger in seconds.
- Backpack squats: Squats are often performed with a barbells and bumper plates for maximum benefits. However, when practicing at home, one can opt for a loaded backpack for a similar impact. All you need to do is store a few books or a laptop and perform the traditional squats for all-round fitness.
- Chair dips: The sturdy gym benches are ideal for performing triceps exercise. However, the chairs at home or low elevation tables can be used for the same effect. All you need to do is look for a table or chair strong enough to take your body weight.
- Water bottle curls: Dumbbells are available at a gym for arms and shoulder workouts. At home, the same can be done using water bottles. Fill up two water bottles of the same capacity with equal quantities of water and perform the curl exercises like usual.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.